In 1906 a passionate group of local legislators and civic leaders worked to pass legislation for the establishment of a college, which would be named South Georgia State Normal College. Since its founding in 1906 and opening in 1913, Valdosta State has evolved into a thriving university of more than 11,300 students, offering degrees from the associate level to the doctorate level. As a regional university, Valdosta State is charged with meeting the professional and general educational needs of its South Georgia service area, which stretches from the Atlantic Coast to Alabama, encompassing 41 counties.
In 1993 the college became Valdosta State University (VSU), the second regional university in the University System of Georgia. Valdosta State consists of five colleges (arts, arts and sciences, business administration, education, and nursing) and a graduate school. In 2003, VSU began offering a total of 50 undergraduate majors, 23 masters degrees, nine educational specialists degrees, and doctorates in education. VSU has established partnerships with area colleges and universities, offering courses on four two-year college campuses, two military bases, and other distance education locations. Valdosta State even has an active international program and sponsors faculty exchanges on every continent in the world.
In December 2016, Dr. Richard A. Carvajal was named the 10th president of Valdosta State University and began serving the institution on January 1, 2017. He is committed to continuing a legacy that fosters individual success among the Valdosta State family.